Cyber safety with kids using the internet

This blog reminded me of a conversation I had with my daughter.  My daughter plays Mushi Monsters, well actually she is rather obsessed by them and in your little house you have a friend tree.  You can ‘friend’ anyone you see walking in the main street and go and visit their house.  You can also post a note to your friends that anyone can see.  My daughter is naïve and very trusting, so everyone is a friend and what harm is there to post a note back.  Back to number 1 from the blog

1.    People you don’t know are strangers.  They are not always who they say they are.

This is an alien concept to most kids, why would someone lie??? It is very hard to shatter their security when they are in their own home, but with an internet connection you can potentially allow anyone access into your home.

The rule in our house is: If you know the person face to face, you can post notes to them, otherwise you will not be allowed to play.

They might lose out on some lovely friendships which are completely innocent but the alternative is unthinkable.

2 thoughts on “Cyber safety with kids using the internet

1. Pingback: technology belongs in the classroom » Cyber safety

2. Hi Wendy, thanks for posting something on your blog about cyber bullying. I forgot all about the little talk I had with my kids about people not necessarily being who they say they are online.

My kids are heavily into Moshi Monsters too and my 8 year old plays online. He started talking about this little girl from California who is has been chatting with and, being a worried mum, I tried to pry some information about what has been said. It sounds innocent enough but didn’t stop me from drumming in the importance of not giving out personal information to others you don’t know.

I have shared your post on my own blog. I hope you don’t mind. The more people that give their kids “the talk” the better I think.

Thanks

Rachel